Bacon risotto: a name that immediately evokes images of rich, creamy grains of rice perfectly paired with the saltiness and crunch of crispy bacon. But, in the ever-evolving world of culinary arts, there is always room to elevate and innovate. Enter Benvolio’s premium organic garlic oil—a gourmet ingredient that promises to not only enhance but also revolutionize your traditional bacon risotto experience. Understanding the basics is essential. Risotto, originating from the heart of Italy, has been warming souls and bellies for generations. The dish stands out for its velvety consistency and the versatility that makes it a canvas for myriad flavours.
Meanwhile, bacon a universal favourite adds a smoky, hearty dimension to this Italian staple. While the duo is nothing short of culinary brilliance, there’s always a quest for that ‘extra something’ to amplify and refine the flavours.That’s where Benvolio’s garlic oil steps in. A harmonious blend of organic garlic, cold-pressed to preserve every ounce of its robust flavour and aromatic charm, this oil does more than just add a hint of garlic—it brings out the underlying notes of each ingredient, ensuring they shine in their own right while seamlessly blending together.
Creating a Symphony of Flavours: The Science Behind the Ingredients
Now that we’ve painted a picture of this delectable dish, let’s explore the scientific harmony behind it. The scientific phenomenon behind the flavoursome combination of bacon and garlic oil is attributed to the compounds naturally present in these ingredients. Bacon has a high content of glutamate, an amino acid responsible for the “umami” taste, also known as the fifth taste. On the other hand, garlic contains allicin, a compound that is released when garlic is crushed or chopped. This compound gives garlic its distinctive flavour and aroma. When combined, these ingredients produce a rich, savoury sensation that tantalizes the palate.
Benvolio’s premium organic garlic oil enhances this natural chemistry with its distinctive, aromatic quality. This exquisite oil is crafted from organic garlic, cold-pressed to preserve its robust flavour and nutritional value. It introduces a bold note to the creamy risotto, establishing a harmonious balance with the rich, smoky bacon.
The Nutritional Advantages of Incorporating Garlic Oil into Your Meals
Garlic, an age-old remedy and culinary star, has been celebrated for its myriad health benefits. When consumed in its oil form, these benefits are amplified due to the concentrated nature of the essence.
Heart Health: Garlic has long been associated with promoting a healthy heart. Regular consumption of garlic oil has been shown to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) while increasing good cholesterol (HDL). This balance aids in preventing atherosclerosis, the hardening of arteries, reducing the risk of heart diseases and stroke. Additionally, garlic’s antithrombotic properties help in preventing the formation of blood clots, further supporting circulatory health.
Anti-inflammatory: The compound allicin, found abundantly in garlic, exhibits powerful anti-inflammatory properties. For individuals with chronic inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease, incorporating garlic oil into their diet can potentially provide relief from inflammation-related symptoms.
Immune Booster: Garlic has been a staple in traditional medicine for its immune-boosting capabilities. The compounds present in garlic oil, including allicin, play a role in enhancing the body’s immune response. This can lead to better resistance against common infections, such as colds, and even more significant bacterial infections.
Antioxidant Properties: Free radicals in the body can lead to oxidative stress, which is linked to chronic diseases and premature aging. Garlic oil is a rich source of antioxidants, compounds that neutralize free radicals. By including garlic oil in your diet, you are providing your body with an arsenal to combat these harmful free radicals, promoting overall health and longevity.
The Role of Premium Organic Garlic Oil
While many home cooks prefer using freshly minced garlic for their aglio e olio, the evolution of culinary practices and the pursuit of convenience has made garlic oil a popular alternative. Enter Benvolio’s Premium Organic Garlic Oil – a game-changer in modern-day gourmet cooking.
This oil isn’t just about convenience. It’s about capturing the essence of garlic in a bottle. Through an intricate process of slow infusion, Benvolio’s manages to bottle the robust, aromatic, and nuanced flavors of the freshest organic garlic cloves. What this means for the cook is the ability to impart a consistent, deep, and authentic garlic flavor without the fuss of peeling, mincing, and monitoring the garlic to ensure it doesn’t burn. Moreover, the choice of going organic guarantees that the oil is free from any additives, pesticides, or artificial flavors, promising an unadulterated culinary experience.
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 teaspoon Benvolio's Premium Organic Oliva & Aglio oil(and an additional drizzle for serving)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices diced bacon
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, kept warm
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Prepare the Base: In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of Benvolio’s garlic oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion, sautéing until translucent and soft. This forms the aromatic foundation for your risotto
- Render the Bacon: Add the diced bacon to the pan. Cook until the bacon is crispy and its fat is rendered. The smokiness of the bacon will meld with the garlic oil, creating a harmonious flavour.
- Toast the Rice: Add the Arborio rice to the pan. Stir to coat each grain in the oil, bacon fat, and sautéed onions. Toasting the rice will ensure it absorbs the liquids better, resulting in a creamier risotto.
- Deglaze with Wine: Pour in the white wine, stirring continuously. Allow the rice to absorb the wine completely. The wine will add depth and a touch of acidity to the dish.
- The Art of Adding Broth: Begin adding the warm broth one ladle at a time, allowing the rice to absorb the liquid after each addition. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and to encourage the rice to release its starches, making the risotto creamy.
- Finish with Flavour: Once the rice is tender and has a creamy consistency, reduce the heat to low. Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted and thoroughly incorporated. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- The Benvolio Touch: Remove from heat and drizzle with an additional tablespoon of Benvolio's Premium Organic Garlic Oil. This final touch will envelop your risotto in a beautiful aromatic garlic essence.
- Serve: Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and perhaps an additional sprinkle of Parmesan. Serve immediately while it’s at its creamy best.
Buy the products of the recipe
- Mouritsen, O.G., and Styrbæk, K. (2017). Umami: Unlocking the Secrets of the Fifth Taste. Columbia University Press. http://cup.columbia.edu/book/umami/9780231168915
- Rahman, K. (2001). Historical perspective on garlic and cardiovascular disease. The Journal of Nutrition, 131(3s), 977S-979S. Retrieved from
- Banerjee, S.K., & Maulik, S.K. (2002). Effect of garlic on cardiovascular disorders: a review. Nutrition Journal, 1(1), 4. Retrieved from
- Arreola, R., et al. (2015). Immunomodulation and anti-inflammatory effects of garlic compounds. Journal of Immunology Research, 2015. Retrieved from
- Bayan, L., Koulivand, P.H., & Gorji, A. (2014). Garlic: a review of potential therapeutic effects. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine, 4(1), 1–14. Retrieved from
- Harris, J.C., Cottrell, S.L., Plummer, S., & Lloyd, D. (2001). Antimicrobial properties of Allium sativum (garlic). Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 57(3), 282-286. Retrieved from
Did you like this article? Share it with your friends!