In the quest for natural skin care solutions, one ingredient stands out for its remarkable properties. Benvolio, a pioneer in premium organic and specialty seed oils since 1938, brings to you the essence of nature in its purest form with our flaxseed oil. This article delves into the benefits of it for skin, offering insights for those curious about incorporating this natural wonder into their skincare routine.
Yes, Flaxseed oil can be beneficial for skin health. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to support skin health. Studies have shown that it can improve skin hydration by reducing trans-epidermal moisture loss. In a study conducted on horses, supplementation was found to improve coat color and quality, suggesting its potential benefits for skin and coat health. Similar results were observed in a study on dogs, where supplementation was associated with improved coat quality and skin barrier function. Another study on rabbits showed that topical application of crude flaxseed oil significantly improved burn wound healing, with enhanced neo-vascularization, increased number of collagen fibers, fibroblasts, and many myofibroblasts
However, it’s important to note that a study investigating the effects of a combination of it and vitamin E on skin permeability barrier function in humans concluded that a cause and effect relationship has not been established. In conclusion, while animal studies suggest potential benefits of it for skin health, more research is needed to confirm these effects in humans.
Benefits of Flaxseed Oil for Skin
How Often Should Flaxseed Oil Be Applied on Skin
- Direct Application: Flaxseed oil can be applied directly to the skin. After cleansing your face, take a few drops of flaxseed oil and gently massage it into your skin. This can be done once or twice a day, depending on your skin's tolerance and needs
- Mix with a Moisturizer:If direct application feels too heavy or oily, you can mix a few drops of flaxseed oil with your regular moisturizer before applying it to your skin. This can help enhance the moisturizing effect and provide the skin with the beneficial properties of flaxseed oil
- Use in a Face Serum: Flaxseed oil can also be incorporated into a face serum. Serums are known for their rapid absorption ability and high concentration of active substances. Adding flaxseed oil to a serum can enhance its skin benefits. However, it's important to note that the formulation of such products should be done by professionals to ensure safety and effectiveness
- Add to a Face Mask: You can add a few drops of flaxseed oil to your regular face mask. This can provide an extra boost of hydration and nourishment to your skin.
- Effects of dietary camelina, flaxseed, and canola oil supplementation on transepidermal water loss, skin and coat health parameters, and plasma prostaglandin E2, glycosaminoglycan, and nitric oxide concentrations in healthy adult horses. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10721441/
Effects of Dietary Cameline oil Supplementation on Inflammatory and Oxidative Markers, Trans-Epidermal Water Loss, and Skin and Coat Health Parameters in Healthy Adult Dogs. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/114-Effects-of-Dietary-Cameline-oil-Supplementation-Richards-Burron/c26d11d2f887342fbcc8700675cfcdc7e8e84a10
- Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of a health claim related to a combination of flaxseed oil and vitamin E and maintenance of the skin permeability barrier function. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Scientific-Opinion-on-the-substantiation-of-a-claim-Products/817671553af1bf9699a503e3522154bb7e5d6fb1
Effects of dietary camelina, flaxseed, and canola oil supplementation on inflammatory and oxidative markers, transepidermal water loss, and coat quality in healthy adult dogs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10034026/
EVALUATION OF CRUDE FLAXSEED (Linum usitatissimum L) OIL IN BURN WOUND HEALING IN NEW ZEALAND RABBITS. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5412234/